High pulse rate. on thyroid medication, lowered dosage prescribed. pulse rate in lower now. Normal level ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My heart rate has been running high (90-110) but my doctor thought my thyroid med was too high (after blood testing) and lowered it about a month ago. I've now been running high 70's to 80's, but when on my elliptical, it jumps to mid-150's after only 3 minutes. Is this okay? Am I just being hypervigilant?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later

Having a heart rate of high 70s to 80s is absolutely normal. While doing exercise, even a mild exercise can cause a rise in heart rate by 50% within first 90 seconds of beginning the exercise.

Increase in heart rate to near 150 is not troublesome as long as there are no ECG changes associated with this high heart rate. This is the way our heart compensates for the increase workload.

Still it would be better to get the following investigations done to rule out cardiac related problems.

1. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2.
2. Echocardiography
3. Tread mill test
4. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy) in case abnormality is found in above tests.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.