Herpes, irritation and bubble-like formation on lips, took Herperax. Did the medicine cause miscarriage?

Hi Doctor,

This is regarding my sister XXXXXXX She is 24 years of age. She is suffering from the Herpes ailment.
She gets irritation and bubble like formations on her lips. Our dermatalogist has advised her to take medication of Herperax 800. She recovers quite soon after medication. She was pregnant last year. During her seventh month , she had a herpes infection. She took the prescribed medicine and her infection subsided. But after one week, She lost her child. Is it possible that this tablet has had an effect on the baby? We are also perturbed that this would repeat again during her pregnancy in future. Can you please suggest what are the means to keep this infection at bay and how best to avoid it.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later

I infer that your sister is suffering from infection with Herpes Simplex Virus.

The use of Herperax (which contains Acyclovir) is safe during pregnancy and is probably not responsible for the pregnancy loss in your sister.

If she has recurrent lesions, she will need to take Herperax again under the supervision of her Dermatologist.

Several triggers for these lesions have been identified and these need to be avoided to keep recurrences at bay. These include natural or artificial ultraviolet light (e.g., sunlight, tanning beds), lip chapping, lip trauma or abrasion, fever, fatigue, overexposure to wind, immunosuppression, the common cold, dental instrument irritation of intraoral tissues, tooth removal or other dental surgery, digestive problems, traveler's diarrhea, decompression of the trigeminal nerve and physical stress.

Further, it is very important that people who have such lesions refrain from kissing or touching anything that may come in contact with another person with their lips.

I would suggest that your sister see her gynecologist once whenever she decides to conceive next.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Herpes, irritation and bubble-like formation on lips, took Herperax. Did the medicine cause miscarriage? 5 hours later
Thank you Doctor..
I have one more query..
During pregnancy, does the herpes infection cause any harm to the baby in the womb. Also, after child birth, if she is infected , should feeding be stopped? Is there any way that the infection can be controlled for a year??
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 12 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

If the mother is infected with herpes simplex virus, then there is an increased chance of preterm labor and intrauterine growth restriction. Preterm labor means that the onset of labor before 40 completed weeks. Intrauterine growth restriction refers to the restriction of the growth of the baby.

Any recurrence during pregnancy should be given anti-viral therapy at or beyond 36 weeks of gestation.

The infection is usually transmitted to the baby during vaginal delivery in most of the cases. If she has active genital lesions or prodromal symptoms like vulval burning or itching, a Caesarean section is indicated.

Further, she can breastfeed her child provided there are no active breast lesions. Also, strict hand washing is advisable.

The infection can be controlled only by avoiding the specific triggers that I mentioned above and by appropriate anti-viral therapy is case of recurrences.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.