Ask a Urologist   »  

Hematospermia, blood in semen. Doctor advised to have sex or masturbate to clear blood. What should i do?

Urologist
Question
im experiencing hematospermia and am worried. Its been a little over a week since I saw my doctor and still have blood in my semen... He told me to have sex and or masturbate to clear the blood out, but that does not seem to be making it better.. What should I do??
I should have also said that no other symptoms exist and I am not on medication.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 11 hours later

Usually no cause can be identified for hematospermia. However, hypertension and any urinary tract pathology should be ruled out. You should get ultrasound KUB to rule out any urinary pathology. One of the commom causes is seminal vesiculitis. MRI can be done to rule it out.

I usually treat my patient with a course of fluoroquinolones and alpha blockers. there is nothing much in hematospermia. See your urologist again and get treated.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Hematospermia, blood in semen. Doctor advised to have sex or masturbate to clear blood. What should i do? 14 hours later
Ok, thank you. I have an appointment next Thursday December 15th. Is that ok or is this more of an emergengy than that?

Thank you for writing back.

It is fine. There is no emergency; stay relaxed.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.