Hello. My 8 months baby is passing stills with black

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
Hello. My 8 months baby is passing stills with black spots or thread like substance for the past 3 days. He was constipated some time back. I gave Colic aid once. After which he started passing stools with black threads in it. I also changed his formula to nan pro stage 2. What should I do now.
Posted Tue, 5 Dec 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry, observe closely

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

Black spots or thread like material can be there in stool if baby was constipated(was not passing stool daily). It may be undigested substances.
I won't get worried if baby is otherwise active, accepting feeds well, passing urine and there is no blood in stool or abdominal distension.
I suggest you to observe for the stool and please consult your pediatrician if you find any abnormality. You can continue with the nan pro 2 which is appropriate for this age.
I would like to know if you are giving any iron supplements or what complementary feeds you are giving so that I can get the idea about the black spots or threads in stool.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Hello. My 8 months baby is passing stills with black 56 minutes later
I'm taking iron supplements and feeding baby as well. He is active as usual feeds well too. Before he was passing hard stool. Now it's some what loose but not watery. I gave him dates. Other than that nothing new.

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely undigested food material

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

The black spots or thread like material can be undigested food items(like dates).
You need not to worry for that. You can continue with the iron supplement as it will not cause any stool abnormality in baby(unless baby gets it, some may have stool abnormality).
I hope his stool pattern will become normal within few days.

Follow-up: Hello. My 8 months baby is passing stills with black 5 hours later
Thanks for the reply. My baby is passing stool after every feed. He takes formula and solid 3 times a day. His poop is neither solid nor watery. Should I give him befilac.

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No specific indication of Bifilac

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome again

I don't find any specific indication of Bifilac for your child. It is mainly indicated for loose stool when there is a compromise of normal gut flora. Passing stool after each feed is mainly due to gastrocolic reflex.
I would like to observe and I hope that the stool pattern will get normal within next 2-3 days.

Please let me know about his condition and also if you have any more doubt.