Heavy painful periods, weight loss. Diagnosed with chocolate cyst and polycyst in ovaries. Laparoscopic surgery suggested. Risk factors?

Hi Doctor,

I am a 25 year old girl. I was diagnosed with chocolate cyst and polycyst in both of my ovaries a year ago. I ahve very heavy painful periods and I have become amaemic and lost weight. My doctor suggests laparoscopic surgery as soon as possible. I have heard that cysts re-appear even after surgery? Is it true? Is surgery the best option? My mother passed away 6 months ago of cholangiocarcinoma during whipple procedure on opertation table. Since I don;t look very strong either, family members are worried about my surgery. It creates a fear that is hard to cope with. Your suggestion would really be helpful. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

Chocolate cysts in both the ovaries with polycystic ovaries are best treated surgically for relief from symptoms. This is perhaps the only option for you to sustain your fertility.
Surgery only removes the cysts that are already present in the ovaries. It does not stop the regrowth of fresh cysts. Recurrence cannot be prevented surgically.

I am sorry to hear about your mother.

Complications during operation are mostly unpredictable.

I know you feel all burdened down but let me tell you there is a far healthier and beautiful life ahead, waiting for you, just be positive.

You are a young girl and your body can bounce back to a healthier state if you go with your doctor's advise.So cheer up!

Be sure that you put yourself in the hands of an experienced anaesthetist and surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Heavy painful periods, weight loss. Diagnosed with chocolate cyst and polycyst in ovaries. Laparoscopic surgery suggested. Risk factors? 1 hour later

Thank you very much for replying. Well, I (XXXXXXX) have posted on behalf of my cousin XXXXXXX who is the actual patient. She lives with me in Hyderabad and now it's my reponsibility to take care of her health. I want to know how major this surgery is and if there are possibilities of complications. XXXXXXX is anaemic and very weak. Just a month ago she fainted while giving blood sample for one lab test. Well, she was suffering from very high fever at that time. I just want to be sure that she'll be able to handle this surgery.

Her mom died of a surgery which has only 4% mortality rate. Hence, I am little scared about her. I am getting her surgery done in Apollo Hyderabad. Do you have any better suggestion regarding the hospital and doctor that we should be seeing.

What is the probability of PCOS developing into something more serious? She gets abdominal pain now and then. Is there any fear of it becoming cancerous?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The surgery for chocolate cysts is a safe procedure though a major operation. Her fitness for surgery can best be evaluated after a physical examination and investigations which i am sure will be done in detail at Apollo Hospital.

Apollo hospital is a good hospital with a panel of competent surgeons and anaesthetists. You can safely proceed with the treatment.

PCOS and chocolate cysts can cause infertility. These are not likely to develop into something cancerous.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.

Wishing your cousin a trouble free speedy recovery.