Heavy bleeding during periods, feeling nauseous and have sore breast. HPT negative. Thoughts?

I am 39 years old. I usually have very heavy periods and a normal 28 day cycle. I bled a little around the 12 to 14 day of my cycle when I would normally be ovulating. Started feeling nauseous and extremely sore nipples. This continued until I got my period on the 28th day. Thurs the 4th. My period was really light. I had enough blood to wear tampons but usually soak through them in about 45 min to an hour. Today the 6th I have very little brown blood. I don't need a tampon or a pad. I still feel nauseous and sore full breasts. I just took a pregnancy test and it came back Negative. Wondering what your thoughts are?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The mild and intermittent bleeding and shorter cycles that you are having is likely to be due to mild hormonal imbalance. This bleeding is not likely to be due to pregnancy. Since your pregnancy test has come negative, you can be more sure of that.
You have to watch for the second or next cycle and if that is normal , there is no need to worry. If the cycle is again short then you should get your oestrogen and progesterone levels done as well as an USG for endometrial thickness and it is to be done after 15 days of the cycle or after ovulation. I hope your thyroid profile is within normal limits. Stress and anemia can also cause shorter cycles.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.