Heart slowing down, pregnant, falling asleep. Any ideas?

Hi I'm 23 weeks pregnant and woke up early this morning with what felt like my heart had really slowed down to the point were I couldn't keep awake in fact I fell asleep and woke up it felt like I just closed my eyes for a second but must have been more as I was watcing a program on tv then the next I woke to a totaly diffrent program. I was sleeping on my back any ideas why I felt my heart like it did
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 1 hour later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, changes occur in circulating blood volume, peripheral vascular compliance and resistance, myocardial function and contractility, heart rate, and sometimes heart rhythm and the neurohormonal system. The plasma volume increase is proportionally greater than the increase in red blood cell mass, and the resulting hemodilution explains the so-called ‘physiological anemia of pregnancy and causing a sensation of lack of blood supply to the brain causing sleepiness. During pregnancy, there is a fall in systemic (peripheral) vascular resistance beginning in week 5 of gestation with a XXXXXXX between weeks 20 and 32. It can also be anxiety issues (especially with all the anxiety associated with pregnancy). But may be that you might want to ask your clinician about and see if it is anxiety related or even panic attacks which can literally feel like a heart attack or cardiac related. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks
Follow-up: Heart slowing down, pregnant, falling asleep. Any ideas? 12 hours later
I have and do suffer from anxity and panik attacks but this felt diffrent probaly the blood thing you said I'm getting bloods done tomoz so should find out if its has out wrong
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 6 hours later
Thanks for your kind response, wish you good health. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.