Headache, vomiting, tender breast. Missed birth control pills. Could I be pregnant?

Sep 2012

hi i've been on birth control for years but this month i have been regularly missing my pills eg each week i have been missing maybe 2 days a row and the last week maybe three. i have tried doubling up on the days i remember and the last set of pills i just continued doubling up until it finished which was 2 in the morning two at night and two the last day. i know i should have just stopped. now i have no idea when my periods is due. if i finished the pill correctly it would have finished the 7th. today is 14th and no signs of cramps or anything just my butterflies because i'm so concerned. have been having headaches lately. my throat has been tight but i know maybe im nervous trying to stay calm and if i get myself riled up possibility i will vomit. my breast were tender at one point and as soon as my boyfriend touched them i got irritated but it has stopped now. maybe i'm stressed. I'm coming off the pill as well to try have a baby now.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your history indicates irregular taking of contraceptive pills. It may lead to pregnancy.

Generally, we advise to take the missed pill at the time when you remember it. One such episode in a monthly cycle is allowed. But, more than one episode increases chance of pregnancy.

Your present problem regarding period may be caused by either pregnancy or side effect of pills. Your symptoms are not indicative towards a definite condition. Because, these may also be present in case of pregnancy. So, depending upon these symptoms, nothing can be told with guarantee.

So, you have to do a home pregnancy test first. If it is negative, then do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen.

If, the both the tests are negative for pregnancy, then you have to wait for few more days. If you do not have your period within 10 more days, you should consult with a gynecologist for a clinical examination and also for progesterone challenge for starting period.

If the tests are positive for pregnancy, the decision is yours.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Headache, vomiting, tender breast. Missed birth control pills. Could I be pregnant? 4 minutes later
as i wrote this query i started having bubbling or bubbles in my stomach by the abdomen area. as well of lately my urine has had a high odor. thanks for the reply
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 7 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, these symptoms do not prove anything. They can be present both in presence or absence of pregnancy.

So, you have to go for pregnancy test using your urine at your home. This is very simple test. But it gives a reliable result.

So, do the pregnancy test and then do as i have told.

Hope, you have your answers.