Headache, pressure around eyes, postnasal drip in throat, done eye test, blood test, thyroid test, had MRI. Cause?

Ophthalmologist
Question
had eye exam done and eye pressure was elevated, 21 in one eye and 23 in the other eye, said he looked in back of eye and it looked fine. shoudl I be worried. I have been having alot of pressure around my eyes and head lately getting headaches, coul this be the cause??? just had blood work done all was okay including thyroid. had mri done 2 years ago, not wanting to go get another one, but these headaches drag me down, I also have alot of postnasal drip in my throat could this have something to do with sinuses causing head pressure/headache??im just getting vry frustrated over headache/pressure sometimes muscle twitching side of head also
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 13 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query. A rise of intra ocular pressure leads to Glaucoma. You do not have glaucoma, what you have is a marginal rise of intra ocular pressure.This indicates that you have to have regular follow up to rule out any trace of glaucoma.

At this point you can have a baseline field charting for further follow up.

It is good that your doctor has looked into the back of the eye and said that everything is normal.

Posterior nasal drip and sinus involvement can also give rise to headache.

There are some other causes of such headaches. I hope you are eating and sleeping well, otherwise some vitamin supplements and lifestyle management will help.

I hope I have answered your queries fully, in case of a need please do get back to me.

Follow-up: Headache, pressure around eyes, postnasal drip in throat, done eye test, blood test, thyroid test, had MRI. Cause? 7 hours later
back in my twnties I remember being told that my eye pressure was high back then but was in my twentes and this was when i got my base line eye test for glassess just reading glasses. could it just be my genetics that I run higher??? could stress elevate reading?? also shoul I get another MRI for these headaches seeing how I just had one 2 years ago and that was for ringing in my ears. obviously these headaches make me think brain tumor but with having mri done 2 years ago should I still be worried??
thanks for all your info

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 52 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for getting back to me.

We do not allow high pressure to continue in the eye.

If the pressure remains high we can start some medication to lower the pressure.

Stress does not increase the pressure.

Ringing in the ear and headache is a combination that points to inner ear problem and should be looked into by E.N.T. specialist and as i mentioned earlier sinusitis will also need an MRI.

Brain tumors if present does not remain static and would have progressed by now, so we should not be expecting that. So do not worry about brain tumor and these problems look to be more in the ear and sinuses.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Headache, pressure around eyes, postnasal drip in throat, done eye test, blood test, thyroid test, had MRI. Cause? 3 hours later
thanks for all your info and the ringing in my ear was checked out by an ent and had mri of head 2 years ago. i have good amt hearing loss in one ear which he feels is whats caused ringing in ear and i just live with it my MRI was neg also 2 years ago. I guess my big issue is to have another MRI, If it was brain tumor wouldn't I have other symptoms? balance is fine no nausea eyes exam for back of eye was fine I just have this nagging headache and facial pressure for 4 days now and not looking to reapeat another MRI if I dnt have to, do you think waiting few more days to see if this resolves is putting my health in jeopardy sorry for all these questions.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for getting back to us.

Brain tumors do not remain static.They should have some presenting symptoms.

Therefore chances of having Brain tumor is remote.

You should have a ENT checkup for two reasons.

1)To assess the status of hearing loss.
2)Effects of sinusitis.

Since the back of the eye is also normal the focus should be to have a ENT checkup to rule out lesions which may lead to your presenting symptoms.

By not having a MRI you are not putting your health in jeopardy.

If you have any problem please do get back to us.