Headache during orgasm or nightmare, jaw pain that radiates back to head

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello. I have noticed that I get a massive headache whenever I get excited (orgasm, having a nightmare). It starts in the area around my jaw bone and radiates back and into both sides of my head until it finally settles at the top. This morning was the first time it happened after having a nightmare where my car ran out of gas and I drove it over to the side of the road not knowing there was a lake there since it was dark. This all started about a week and a half ago and it's pretty scary.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 34 minutes later

Have you ever lost consciousness during the peak of such a headache ?

Any weakness of limbs or any other part of the body ?

The history provided fits perfectly into a condition called Coital cephalgia or Orgasmic headache.

This kind of headache starts just before you get an orgasm or any kind of emotional excitement or stress, at the base of your skull, associated with tightening of muscles around the neck and jaw. This headache builds up and spreads to the back of the head and finally goes to the top of the head. The intensity of the headache is maximum during the orgasmic stage.

Usually no definitive cause is known for such a headache but could mean a problem in the blood vessels. There may be a chance for a XXXXXXX bleed called a sub-arachnoid bleed in the brain. This needs to be ruled out.

Also Stress headaches need to be ruled out which usually affect the sides and back of the head whenever you are under any emotional stress.

Kindly eat a balanced diet. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Avoid junk food, colas, caffeine, smoking and alcohol and headache can get worse with these factors. Keep control of blood sugar by regular monitoring.

Usually prevention of this headache includes stopping sexual intercourse just before getting orgasm and taking up passive role during sexual intercourse. Some Doctors recommend stopping masturbation and sexual intercourse for a while. Medication include those which are generally used to control blood pressure like Propranolol.

Kindly consult your Neurologist to be safe and make sure there is no such bleed. Am MRI or Spinal tap may be ordered as investigations.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.