Headache after continuously in AC, sensitive to cold, get cold & throat infection. Reason for this problem?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor,

I often getting head ache when i continuously sits in A/C in Office.
I want to know the reason if any behind this.
Also i am sensitive to Chillness. Offen get cold or throat infection when i am in contact with any chillness or to that season.

Expecting to know what will be the reason behind this problem.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

You are suffering from allergic rhino-sinusitis.

This is due to the blockage of the sinus openings secondary to nasal congestion following allergy. Staying in front of the air conditioner for long time causes congestion of the nasal mucosa, which in turn leads to blockage of the sinus openings. Once the opening of the sinus shuts, there is trapping of the air and sinus secretions which make the head heavy. This heaviness of the head is the cause of headache.

You need to avoid the triggering factor ( i.e. air conditioning ) to get rid of this problem. Do not stay for longer periods in the air conditioned chamber. Drink plenty of warm water when you are in the office, use steroid nasal spray to keep your nose clear from congestion and nasal secretions. Do steam inhalation once you come back from the office, this will help in relieving the sinus blockage and headache.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon