Head injury, seizures, on torleva 500, oleptal for preventing seizures. Risky to take during pregnancy ?

Hi, I am told that taking Torleva 500 is a risk during pregnancy..Please help me with information
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Yes, levetiracetam -Torleva medicine should not be taken during pregnancy.

Even oxcarbazepine -Oleptal is placed under a category where not enough studies prove its safety in pregnancy.

You would need a review for change in medications - hence would have to contact the prescribing doctor as soon as possible. There are few medicines to treat epilepsy during pregnancy that are safe.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: Head injury, seizures, on torleva 500, oleptal for preventing seizures. Risky to take during pregnancy ? 34 minutes later
How long does it take to wear off the medicine if I discontinue taking the medicine (Torleva and Oleptal.) Please also note I am taking this medicine regularly for the last 3 and half years. The last seizure attack I got was 23 October 2010. Almost a year. I started getting the seizure attack after a head injury 5 years back.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 15 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

You should not abruptly stop the medication especially for epilepsy.

Now, that you are pregnant - you would need a discussion of the possible risks vs benefits with your doctor. If the benefits outweigh risks, then a possibility that you would have to continue at least one of those might occur.

All this can be said by your prescribing doctor, and any changes notified to you in person.