Having twitching head and neck and legs feels weak. Has constipation. Worried?

Feb 2013

Hi my 3 year old daughter recently had a small episode where she came home one afternoon, went to bed and slept for 2 hours. When awakened her head and neck were twitching and her legs were so weak she couldn't support herself.She had urinated , but this isn't unusual when she is sleeping and she normally wears a nappy at night.. She vomited about 7 times throughout the night (by this time she was in hospital), and seemed to recover the next day. She had a brain MRI, had no temperature and her obs were normal, and blood tests, urine and toxicology all came back as negative.The doctor said she probably had a viral infection, but would she not have had a temperature if this was the case?
She has constipation for which she takes movicol paediatric one XXXXXXX per day, but my wife has noticed her stools have been a very pale mustard colour for a long time, (APPROX 18 months since she was started on movicol) but she had just put this down to the movicol.
Before the movicol her stools were green with mucous and blood through them.
We're really worried it happens again?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The event you described in the starting of your query looks like a transient event of motor weakness.

This type of weakness is seen in some electrolyte disturbances, accidental drug ingestions, or some food poisonings.

Some times transient paralysis is seen after a fit episode. EEG will rule out this problem.

But physical examination and investigations, and further observation of similar episode if occurs may give clue to the problem.

Coming to stool color, I advise you to give stool for investigations like routine, microscopy, and culture after consulting your pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.