Having tension from neck to shoulders. Eyes are heavy and having tired vision. Sometimes ear turns numb. What could it be?

Nov 2013

Dear dr,

Recently i was busy with house moving. Few days ago I started to feel huge tension on the back of my neck n my shoulders. Slowly the tension move up to my head. It felt like I'm wearing a kids size swimming cap. My eyes became heavy , tired vision .

I'm felt like I can't focus. Like staring in space. I went for a massage n the therapist said there was a knot on my left neck back. He massage for 15 mins n it did felt better .

One more thing, when I sleep normal face up, occasionally I can feel that the left area of my left ear turn numb. I wouldn't really describe it as numb cos when I scratch it or pinched it I can feel. Jux like it turned "cold" it goes away after I stand up for awhile . I Oso felt some tinge pain occasionally on the left area of my head, surrounding the left year region .

Pls advise

Dear dr,

Jux to add the "cold" sensation somehow feels inside the ear not the ear exterior surface. It seems to be at the area of the left upper neck jux behind the round surface ear bone. There is no pain or hearing problem, like a sensation of cold feel as if blood is not reaching that area. No tingling buzzing though
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 days later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be a serious problem

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious neurological problem.
The most likely cause could be mild cervical spondylosis with mild disc bulges, which could slightly pinch the nerves in the neck. This can lead to muscle stiffness, pain, heaviness, etc.
Abnormal sensations such as cold, numbness, tingling, etc may occur with pinched nerves, and get referred to the ear.

Treatment consists of neck extension exercises and physiotherapy.
If symptoms persist, MRI of cervical spine may be done to further evaluate the problem.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist