Having swollen, burning sensation in ankle. Tried ice, ibuprofen and paracetamol. Not cured. What should I do?

Good evening, I would like some advice regarding a painful ankle. I have had the problem for about a week.
I am not overweight, and exercise very regularly every week, (Martial arts). I am a 51yr old female.
I have sustained no known injury or trauma to the area. The area is sore over the medial malliolous, right foot, and the immediate area above for about 3/4 cm. On pressing the malliolous the area it is tender, 'burning' sensation, this is not normal 'bony tenderness.' This area was slightly swollen, this has now improved. There is no bruising or marking on the skin surface. Randomly there is a worsening burning sensation from the bony prominence to the area 3/4 above this site, which lasts for about 20 seconds.
Normal movement to the joint, although it is uncomfortable, especially at fully flexed. I can fully weight bear, at times however, I am limping, using the toes to bear weight. I have no difficulty cycling, however, jogging is definitely not on the cards at present.
I have tried ice therapy, when at rest during the odd evening. Ibuprofen and paracetamol taken too.
Any ideas?
Many thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 hour later

Thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

Typically, a burning sensation on the skin (similar to tingling, electric-shock like, or even creeping) is called a paresthesia. It usually starts from a mild tingling and may progress to a heightened level of sensation (hence the burning, and not the usual tenderness) or a decreased level of sensation (numbness). This is a symptom of nerve distress or damage which may or may not be related to its previously swollen state.

I suggest that you see an XXXXXXX medicine specialist or a neurologist especially if you notice any muscle weakness. This may simply be an isolated case where your specific nerve supply to that area was somehow injured and that you need only to let it try and heal itself. Or there may be something else going on - a peripheral neuropathy which may be related to some chronic diseases.

In the meantime, you may try eating food XXXXXXX in vitamin B6 and 12 like tuna, spinach, chicken, banana and avocado, sardines, salmon, and yoghurt. These help in relieving pain related to nerve injuries and they are also necessary components in the myelination process. Also, try a warm compress now since we want to improve circulation in the area and the slightly warmer temperature may help facilitate the healing.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to ask them.

Take care!

Dr. Galera