Having swollen and itchy knees. Prescribed prednisone and doxycycline. What is this?

Sep 2013

Thursday morning i woke up with hot swollen knees they were huge! and they were kind itchy. I also had a rash running from my elbows to wrist on both of my forearms. I went to the hospital that evening and the doctor told me she really didn't know what could be causing these things her only guess was lymes disease so she prescribed me prednisone and doxycycline and ran some kind of lymes test. They said they would call me monday if it comes back positive. My question is what if its negative? than whats going on. Today my knees arnt swollen but are achy as well as my elbows and wrist. If i was bitten by a tick, i had no idea... i never found one or the bulls eye they talk about. I need however develop a pimple like rash on my face and down the right and left sides of my neck about a month ago... could never find the cause of that... Dont know if these things are related or not.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 4 hours later
Thanks for posting the question to H.C.M.Forum.
There were swollen knee joints and rash from elbows to wrist.
In Lyme disease there are,
Circular skin rash.
In my opinion, this is not a case of Lyme disease. Most probably, result would be negative.
Now, what if its negative?
Swollen,tender ( pain if touch),warm,stiff ( early in the morning, particularly after night sleep)
Rashes also appear over extremities ( legs & arms).
These above symptoms disappear within a short period and patient get relief just by mild massage and rest. All above-mentioned symptoms are suggestive of Rheumatoid arthritis.
Your doctor prescribed prednisolone and doxycycline and that’s cured (subsides) this disease within a short period.
Please remember a throat infection, if any 3-4 years back, because this disease is due to old throat infection (strep throat).
I would advise you please get in blood examination for E S R (although non-specific, if high indicative of some chronic infection as it were in your case.)
Rheumatoid factor is a positive signal of rheumatoid disease, so please get in this test also.
Rheumatoid disease is more prevalent in females as compared to males.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further question I will be happy to help.
Wish you a good luck.