Having swelling in legs. Had cellulitis. Have constant phlegm. On Zithromax. What can be done?

Ever since I had my 2nd child 20 months ago I haven't been able to get rid of my swelling in the legs and I've had cellulitis 2 times from it now its red with white spots and no doctor where I live has seen it before and doesn't know what's wrong with me now I have fluid on my lungs very little and constant phlegm was on Zithromax then doc switched me to avelox and I discontinued it and started back on the Zithromax because I was having some severe side effects from it now my root foot has been going numb ? Frustrated to as what is wrong & why these doctors cannot seem to help me :(
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later
Thanks for your query posted.
I would be pleased to answer your question .

thanks for the image sent . it is very clear .

You have a condition called Lymphangiectasis . This condition is associated with lack of lymph fluid drainage which occurs when the lymphatic vessels of the legs are involved . this condition occurs secondary to the damage caused to these vessels when there is an underlying inflammation.This can also cause compression of the nerves resulting in the numbness.

The photograph is indicative of this condition.

I would suggest you to get a color doppler of the arteries , veins and the lymphatic vessel structure done and would also suggest you to get laser treatment done to improve the flow in the veins and inturn the lymph vessels.

You can apply calamine lotion on the are for any numbness.

Please also look out for any fever , painful calf as this can be an emergency for which you would need to see a doctor as early as possible.

Please elevate the limbs while sleeping and maintain good hygiene.

Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Having swelling in legs. Had cellulitis. Have constant phlegm. On Zithromax. What can be done? 42 minutes later

I have had 2 ultrasounds of my legs and there are no clots. I think that is what u meant by watch for increased pain and go to emergency if onsets? I missed my 3 rd ultrasound I need to rebook it was a different one I think the one u are suggesting like where they put the ultrasound probe on the upper sides example where you're underwear lines are when wearing underwear I don't now what that part of legs are called but very top of where legs begin. And he wanted to check what u mentioned to see proper vein flow and so on so I will rebook this immediately. Is this curable? Will I die from this? I'm freaking out scared cause I'm only 32 just turned yesterday and have 2 small babies also can you have another child with this condition? Swelling impoves when I elevate my legs almost to normal bt if I fall asleep 3 days in a row with them hanging it starts all ver again :( please let me know and what I can do to better this and how would I have gotten this? I need to know if it is life threatening ? Thank you so much Sherah Sampson - Canada ohh ps. I've never had numbness in my foot before but it's going numb on right foot on the bottom is that also normal?
Thank you for your queries
There is nothing worry . This will not lead to any death or malignancy .

You might have got this because of some local issues near the veins , valves or the lymphatic system . It can also be seen secondary to being over weight or an increase in weight .
This is NOT life threatening . Numbness can be a part of this condition.

Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Having swelling in legs. Had cellulitis. Have constant phlegm. On Zithromax. What can be done? 13 minutes later
Thank You Dr you have done more in a few hours then 10 different emergency doctors have and 2 specialists I think we need more US doctors in Canada I hate our healthcare System here ppl dying constantly here also from staff infection and ppl being infected from not so clean surgeries towels being sewed up in people and I could go on and on . I wish you ppl prescribed medication so I didn't have to always deal with the doctors here. I'm ashamed to say I'm from Canada:( Also I've had chest pains off and on for a few months they've done ECG and EKG and chest X-ray and routine bloodwork monitored blood pressure and so on and everything's checked out good I'm worried I have heart disease or something do u think that's possible? Or would something have showed up in all the tests I've had? I promise not to bug you again after this message ... Thank you so much for all your help we'll worth the money. Sherah
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 14 hours later
Thanks for your query .

Chest pain can be due to heart disease , lung disease , muscle pull , esophagitis , gastritis ( heart burn ) . If they have done the investigations as stated and nothing showed up , then it definitely rules out heart disease .
Heart disease and the Leg disease are not linked.

Thanks and Take care