Having strain in c5-c6 disc in neck. Feeling weak. What treatment should be done?

My husband is having strain in his c5-c6 disc in neck due to which his left hand is in pain. It has weakness etc. I need to know what treatment should we go for. Is surgery the viable option. Which doctor- neurologist do u recommend.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 47 hours later

I have gone through the details in the query and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan.

Your husband perhaps has disc prolapse at C5-C6 with radiculopathy. This is resulting in pain and weakness over left upper limb. The type of treatment he would need is based on neurological examination.

He should immediately consult a neurologist and based on clinical examination, a repeat MRI may be ordered. After full assessment, non-surgical or surgical treatment will be decided.

I wish I was able to examine him clinically so that I could provide you with an useful answer. Nevertheless, I suggest you to consult a nearest neurologist and treatment can be decided based on his/her clinical evaluation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information pertaining to this issue.

Dr. Pratap