Having stiffness in back while sleeping or during day time. Cure?

Neurologist, Surgical
I have stiff back problem while at sleep in the night also the stiffness remains sometimes during day time also

Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 7 hours later
Dear Friend,
Back pain and stiffnes occuring during sleep is a cause of concern it may be due to early disc disease or facet joint arthri path or segmentat instability at particular vertebrae level What i what to know is that is there is any history of fall or trauma Also i would suggest you an x XXXXXXX of that area which pains the most. If your doctor clears it it can be followed by an MRI.
DR Vineet
Follow-up: Having stiffness in back while sleeping or during day time. Cure? 37 hours later
X XXXXXXX done but there is nothing of tht sort, the pain is in upper part in back ....

Pls confirm if it cud be because of Vitamin D deficiency
Dear Friend,

Vitamin D deficiency can cause muscular pain, but since you are already taking Vit D supplementation, chances of it persisting are less. Also X-Ray may be normal but still you can have disc protrusion or segmental instability or facet arthropathy at these levels. MRI is a better investigation to detect these abnormalities.

So as per my opinion, MRI scan of the back is beneficial. Discuss with your treating doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Dr. Vineet