What are the findings from CT scan of back?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I have had a CT scan on my back. It shows, inter XXXXXXX : At L2/3, there is a prominent broadbased disc bulge and moderate facet joint OA. There is flattening of the theca and slight narrowing of the lateral recesses but without definite nerve root compression. At L3/4, there is a moderate broadbased disc bulge and facet joint OA without neural compromise. At L4/5, there is a moderate broadbased and left lateral disc osteophyte bar as well as facet joint OA. There is some foraminal narrowing on the left but without definite nerve root compression. At L5/S1, there is a minimal broadbased disc bulge and moderate facet joint OA without neural compromise. No pars defects are seen. What does this mean in simple English and what exercises should I do to fix the problem? Thanks, XXXX
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The details of your CT scan lumbar spine are as follows: 1. At level of L2/3 intervertebral space, the disc is showing slight posterior bulge and causing narrowing at the sides. There is age related osteoarthritis at sides (slight degeneration). It is clearly mentioned that nerve roots are spared from getting compressed. 2. At level of L3/4 intervertebral space, the disc is showing moderate bulge with mild degenerative changes (osteoarthritis). 3. At level of L4/5 intervertebral disc space, there is a small bony outgrowth on the left side (osteophyte) going into the joint between two vertebrae (bones). There is some narrowing of the foramen on the left side but the nerve root remains unaffected. 4. At level of L5/S1 intervertebral disc space, there is a small disc bulge and moderate degenerative changes in the lateral joints. Summarizing the above, you have developed mild degenerative bone changes in the lower back bone with some of the discs between bones slightly bulging backwards. The passages through which the nerves pass are slightly narrowed at some levels but there is no nerve root compression. In simple terms you do not have any serious condition and these changes can be expected to be seen at your age. You may continue going to gym but should take further guidance if you are doing heavy weights and doing exercises which may be causing stress to your lower back. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What are the findings from CT scan of back? 21 minutes later
What back exercises do you recommend? How long before my back gets back to normal. Thanks, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Recommended exercises Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXX, You are welcome and thanks for writing in with an update. Since exercises cannot be explained entirely through words, I have found an illustrative set of exercises for your back problem on an online website which I would like to share with you. Please remember that these exercises should be done within the tolerance limits of your body and any increase in the severity of pain must be discussed with your doctor. Key Points When Doing Exercises The following exercises should be within the limits of pain. Repeat the exercise 4 times a day. The number of repetitions that are recommended is what you should aim for. If you find the exercises hard to do or can only move a little way aim to build up to the total number of repetitions over a few days or even a couple of weeks. Exercise 1 - Lumbar Spine Rotations Exercise 2 - Lumbar Spine Flexion (Knee to Chest 1) Exercise 3 - Lumbar Spine Flexion (Knee to Chest 2) Exercise 4 - Pelvic Tilts Exercise 5 - Bridging Exercise 6 - Lumbar Spine Extension The website link for illustration of the exercises is given below: WWW.WWWW.WW You need not do all the exercises at once. If any particular exercise is difficult, please refrain from doing it. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek