Having smell in neck and diagnosed with swollen lymph nodes. Having fever and heavy headed dizziness. Suggest the home remedy for it?

hi....i'm 24 years old female..and for past two days i have a swell in my neck and have diagnosed to be "swollen lymph nodes"....i have symptoms like fever and heavy headed dizziness...i would like to know how serious the problem is and what could be the immediate home remedy for it...
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Swollen lymph nodes, especially if you have noticed only for the past two days usually results from an acute infectious process, usually viral or bacterial.

In case you experience some pain, have a wound or abscess around the head region, it could probably be if bacterial origin. Any pain in swallowing or fever also indicates a bacterial infection. Treatment in this case is based mainly on antibiotics.

Virus could also cause lymph node swelling , but rarely with pain nor fever. Acute bacterial infections like infectious mononucleosis are common causes, and treatment relies mainly in managing symptoms, analgesics and Vitamins against fatigue. It is usually advised to screen for HIV in such viral syndromes.

A general physical examination is usually indicated to check the size, mobility, tenderness and number of sites of the lymph nodes, and this orients diagnosis and management.

In your case, its acute, and should either be a viral (if no pain nor fever) or bacterial (pain, fever, abscess). A throat and ear exam are necessary. Poorly treated sore throat can lead to complications like rheumatoid arthritis. Consult your family physician for a proper clinical review and management. I do not think its really something serious for the moment. You could take an analgesic or nonsteroidal doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Thanks and kind regards. Feel free asking further questions if need be. Wishing you the best of health.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Having smell in neck and diagnosed with swollen lymph nodes. Having fever and heavy headed dizziness. Suggest the home remedy for it? 13 hours later
Hi and thanks for the reply,

i have mild pain in my swell only when i touch and also have slight head spins when i turn my head looking straight or up...i don't have this symptom when i look down and turn my head....also i get body aches when i have fever...i took paracetamol for fever...and from then i felt better from all the symptoms..can u please let me know some antibiotics to make it cure or paracetamol itself is enough...since i'm waiting to get an appointment from my family physician. Hi....

forgot to let u know that i don't have sore throat or any pain in either my throat or in my ears..also dn have difficuly in swallowing or breathing..only have pain in my swollen lymph my neck
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification.

In this case considering you lack all of these, its most probable that this should be of viral origin. The acute onset and lack of signs of prominent bacterial origin is reassuring. you might need to do for the moment symptomatic treatment only. Use of simple analgesics like Acetaminophen for two to three days should sufficient.

Persistence of the pain, involvement of other sites (other lymph nodes appearing in lymph node present free sites), or onset of fever or alteration of your general outlook or health condition should motivate you to consult a fatigue. Apart from that symptoms should fade out without a few days. It s however common practice to screen for HIV and Infectious mononucleosis in most patients.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you good health.

Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.