Having small tumours in wrist and no pain. Diagnosed as neurofibromatosis. Suggest the treatment and the precautions to be taken?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
SIR MY WIFE HAS 5-6 SMALLTUMOURS IN BOTH WRIST AND AT PRESENT THERE IS NO PAIN IN ANY OF THEM I CONTACTED TO LOAC LOCAL DOCTOR AND HE INFORMED THAT THE CASE MAY BE OF NEUROFIBROMATOSIS SIR NO OF TUMOUR IS ON INCREASING TREND SO PLEASE ADVISE ME ABOUT DIGNOSIS ,TREATMENT AND PRECAUTION I MUST TAKE AND PLEASE ALSO INFORM ABOUT RISK ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CASE
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like neurofibromatosis; no cure

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your wife's problem. From your description of the swellings, it does look like a case of neurofibromatosis and I can confirm the diagnosis, if you attach a picture of the swelling.
This is a genetic disorder which is associated with multiple swelling all over the body and with time the swellings keep on increasing in size. The swellings per se are not cancerous but this condition does predispose the patient to certain cancers like brain tumors. It can also lead to epilepsy. For these conditions, you need to visit a doctor immediately if she notices any headache, change in vision or dizziness.
Unfortunately, there is no cure available for this condition and as it is a genetic disorder, it can even affect your children.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Having small tumours in wrist and no pain. Diagnosed as neurofibromatosis. Suggest the treatment and the precautions to be taken? 9 minutes later
SIR AT PRESENT THERE IS NO SIGN OF HEADCHE OR DIZZINESS OR CHANGE IN VISION BUT IN LAST ONE AND HALF YEAR GROWTH OF TUMOUR HAS BEEN INCREASED WITH NUMBER ALSO INCREASED SHE IS 31 YEARS OLD AND FACING PROBLEM FOR LAST FIVE YEARS I AM LIVING IN UDAIPUR SO PLEASE ADVICE IN SUCH CASE TO WHOM SPECIALIST I SHOULD GO AND WHICH TYPE OF TREATMENT YOU MAY PREFERED

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Visit a surgeon in case of any problem

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for asking your question. As I mentioned earlier, there is no treatment available for the skin nodules in this disease. They will gradually increase in size and number. Only the ones which are causing a lot of pain or a interfering with any activity can bed dealt with surgically but it is not possible for us to remove all of them.
You should visit a surgeon in case there is a particular swelling which is bothering her.

Follow-up: Having small tumours in wrist and no pain. Diagnosed as neurofibromatosis. Suggest the treatment and the precautions to be taken? 4 minutes later
WHAT IS THE APPROXIMATE COST OF THE SURGERY AND WHAT IS THE CHANCHES OF SURVIVAL IN SUCH CASES

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
5-6 thousand; no major risk

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for asking your question. As I told your previously, all the swellings cannot be removed. Individual swellings which are causing a lot of problem and are not very big (I do not know the size of the swellings) can even be removed under local anaesthesia and should not cost more than 5-6 thousand INR. It is a minor procedure to remove such skin swellings and there is usually no risk involved in such procedures.

Hoping for the best.