Having shoulder pain. Diagnosed due to rotten tooth. Prescribed antibiotics. Having sharp pain. Still because of tooth?

Dec 2012

Hi last week I went to the doctor with a left shoulder pain , and the doctor said it may be from a bad rotted tooth I have . he gave me a course of antibiotics which I completed yesterday and have booked myself in to the dentist tomorrow, but yesterday the pain moved to my upper back right across both shoulder blades and every time I swallow I get a dry sharp pain on my neck and across the back, is this still the tooth?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It does not seem to be a referred tooth pain

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

The pain does not seem to be a referred tooth pain due to badly rooted tooth. It is true that some shoulder pain can be referred from tooth ache, but I do not think this is the case.
It is most likely that the problem is coming from your throat with possibility of you have oesophageal problem such as oesophagitis or oesophageal ulcer or tumor (for this to be confirmed you will need a doctor to examine you and request for an endoscopy). A dentist will be able to help with the tooth problem but will not be able to help you if the problem is digestive in origin.
The shoulder pain you are insinuating that moved to the back might not even be related as you might have had a shoulder pain due to strain injury or myalgia or pinched nerve but the painful swallow and back pain might be coming from your oesophagus.
In either case, you will need to see a doctor after you have seen your dentist (who may decide if you require to see another doctor or not).

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah