Having shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pains, occasionally dizzy. Done stress test. Arrhythmia?

Excellent
Question
Hi, I went to my cardiologist on 4/17. He had me put on a 30 day heart monitor. And also had me do a echo stress test later on (5/2). He suspects I have some kind of arrhythmia. I get symptoms daily (about 20-50 times a day) shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pains, occasionally dizzy, almost fainted one time with too much exertion, and get very tired after I exert myself. However, the doctor stopped my monitor test after only doing it for 14 days. I was told on the phone, they have more than enough information and I can end the test early. And then, yesterday I took the echo stress test and I was told my heart looked strong and sound internally. But, my arrhythmia didn't act up until I left the hospital of the test being done. I still need a follow up with my cardiologist about both test. However, what does it mean when they stop the 30 day heart monitor half way through?? Did it mean he found something?? Or what kind of arrhythmia would cause all these symptoms?? Thank you!
XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. Generally a Holter may suffice – it records continuously for 24 to 48 hours... If the episode is rare, occurs randomly or precipitated by a specific activity, one needs event monitor – to record for longer duration. If they stop it, it means, the diagnosis is obvious...
     There are several arrhythmias that can cause these symptoms – if the rate is too fast or too slow or very highly irregular, with long pauses ...practically, any one can do...
     Stress echo excludes ischemia (reduced blood supply / Coronary Artery Disease) as a cause of this. It also shows anatomical abnormalities – valves, wall / Physiology (function) – like ejection fraction
     Probably, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) or disease of the conduction system may be responsible! Report of the event monitor will give clues...You may need more! – laboratory tests and so on...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pains, occasionally dizzy. Done stress test. Arrhythmia? 20 hours later
Thank you for your reply!
I also was wondering, I got pregnant in the beginning of the year. However, I had a miscarriage after only 2 weeks. But in the time frame I had all the normal pregnancy symptoms but I also periodically had shortness of breath and a horrible cough with it, like I'm trying to get some air. Also, had dizzy spells too. I assumed it was part of being pregnant. But after the miscarriage all the symptoms went away. However, in a 3 month period I once in awhile got that shortness of breath and brushed it off thinking I was fighting something. Then all of a sudden, the last 4 weeks I started getting the shortness of breath, chest pain, palpitation, dizzy, pain radiating towards my back, and tiredness etc. on a daily basis (20-50 times a day) My question is could my pregnancy have caused me to have an arrhythmia?
Thank you so much!

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 minutes later
Not likely...
Hormones of pregnancy do have some effects, but not pain or palpitation
If it were the only cause, the symptoms should have gone, once it was over...

Anaemia / Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking) / Caffeine (too much tea, coffee, cola) / Fever / Pain / Stress / Thyroid / Vitamin D, calcium, magnesium / Medicines like Phenylephrine used for ‘cold’; Salbutamol used for asthma and so on - are the usual causes... At times, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) or disease of the conduction system may be responsible!

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pains, occasionally dizzy. Done stress test. Arrhythmia? 5 minutes later
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!!

With most appreciation, XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 minute later
Get well soon
God bless you