Having shortness of breath, hair loss and weight gain. Thyroid test and chest x-ray done. Advice?

Geriatrics Specialist
I was asking about hormone issues I just had lab work done hemaglobin, thyroid, chest x-rays since I was having shortness of breath, can't sleep hair loss, too much weight gain etc. They were all normal but why do I feel like crap. I have hired a personal trainer and I can't do my workout without getting to tired. But i'm afaid I'll just get guessing answers to jut gonna go away but i thought I'd let you know.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 5 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us,
In order to make an right diagnosis, I have some questions for you
Do you snore at night?
How many times do you wake up in the night?
Are you diabetic? Are you on any medications?
Whats your weight and height?
Do any of your family members have a history of sleep apnea?
Do you have regular menstrual cycle?
Let me know these details and we can take this further

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath, hair loss and weight gain. Thyroid test and chest x-ray done. Advice? 33 hours later
Yes I snore at night, I wake up twist and turn all night at least 7 times awake at night. not diabetic doctor says, I take synthroid 137mg daily, tumeric, 5htp, melatonin, niacin, vitamin E, B,C. My weight is 245lb and I'm 5 10; I gained about 20lbs in the last thrree months. I started working out at least three times week but weight is still increasing. My son sleeps a lot but can't sleep at night, I have no cycles had hysterectomy/sucks. I hate life don't date men are whimps so besides that what is it?
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 15 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing back,
I read your answer with diligence. There are few issues which I think needs attention from your doctor:
1. Increase in weight may result in an syndrome called sleep apnea. Here the patient experience airway obstruction during sleep resulting in wake ups. I am not sure if what you described is the same phenomena. It would be worth to discuss about this with your treating doctor.
Please plan for an weight reduction.
2. Increase in weight with tiredness are associated with hypothyroidism. Have you been taking your pills religiously. If yes, get your thyroid stimulating hormone level (TSH) checked. Synthyroid dosage needs to be adjusted accordingly.
3. It was interesting to note that you have undergone hysterectomy. Perimenopause also is one of the contributor of tiredness and weight changes.

I would suggest you to visit your synthroid dosage as per TSH levels and consider the possibility of sleep apnea/perimenopause.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions,

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath, hair loss and weight gain. Thyroid test and chest x-ray done. Advice? 1 hour later
I went to the doctor he tried to say my TSH was a little low but did nothing about it. I have beeen diagnosed with sleep apnea in the past but I hate that machine, sounds childish but I plan to pull it out and get started. I plan to see a new doctor in a week.
Yes I had a hysterectomy still have ovaries though, I hate I had it but I was severally anemic and was so tired and drained physically and mentally. Blood level was super low cycles out of control and large fybroids the size of grape friut. Hormones could be out of wack will mention to new doctor.
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 12 hours later
Hi there,

I am happy that have an an appointment with new doctor next week. And do discuss about your TSH levels. I think you will need synthyroid dose adjustments.

Reducing weight does immensely improve sleep apnea. As you already mentioned it is hard for you to lose weight even with exercise, try to have an diet free of carbohydrates; add fruits and veggies to your food; to look out for your calories of your current food products and try aerobic exercise like jogging, swimming, etc.

It is important that we reassess your estrogen and follicle stimulating hormone levels to exclude perimenopause. Take care.