Having severe chest pain and numbness in jaw. Report showed D-Dimer elevated. Cause?

I was admitted into the hospital 3 weeks ago with severe chest pain, pain in my jaw and numbness in my left arm. They kept me overnight for observation and ran an EKG , a series of carciac enzyme test, a ct scan of my chest and an ultrasound of my corroded artery . No indication of heart attack. My D-Dimer came back elevated which sparked the CT scan. after being release from hospital I was seen by my PCP and retested blood work. My D-Dimer was trending down but they sent blood reports to hematology. They had me go back and retest a gain a week later and is now higher than it was when i was in hospital. It is currently 710. I am have a thyroidectomy next month as a result of continual growth of nodules. What could be the cause of this elevated D-Dimer? I am not seeing the hematologist till next week. I am a healthy 41 year old woman. I have also noticed I have gained 30 lbs in the past 3 years. I excersise regularly (3-4Xs) per week and eat healthy. ANy info would be helpful
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your concurrent thyroid problem may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
D-Dimer testing is done, when there is a suspicion of deep venous thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolism (PE) or disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). It is also under investigation in the diagnosis of aortic dissection.
Elevated levels may be seen in conditions in which fibrin is formed and broken down. Therefore, an elevated D-dimer do not always indicate the presence of a clot.
D-dimer is typically not used to rule out VTE in hospitalized patients & is recommended as an adjunct test. It should not be the only test used to diagnose a disease or condition. Both increased and normal D-dimer levels may require follow up and can lead to further testing.
False positive readings can be due to various causes e.g. liver disease (or conditions in which fibrin is not cleared normally), high rheumatoid factor, inflammation, infection, malignancy, heart disease, trauma, pregnancy, recent surgery, smoking as well as advanced age.
Substances such as high triglycerides and bilirubin can also cause false positives as can hemolysis caused by improper sample collection and handling.
Raised levels of circulating D-dimers are also detected in patients with vaso-occlusive sickle-cell crisis, acute cerebrovascular accident, acute myocardial infarction, unstable angina, atrial fibrillation, pneumonia, vasculitis, superficial phlebitis, Concurrent systemic illness, Oral anticoagulant use, Functional impairment, Race (e.g. African Americans), acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage & pre-eclampsia etc.
I have provided with you with a list of causes of raised D-dimer. In your case as far as the history allows me your ongoing thyroid problem may be causing this elevation.
Hope I have given you the desired response.