Having semisolid stool and upset stomach. Not cured by medicine. What should I do?

General Surgeon
I have frequent stomach upsets with no pain or discomforts, but never had normal stools for over a month.
My stools are mostly semisolid with an urgency 2 or 3 times a day.
I have tried a course of metrogel and the next week a course of tinadazole with ciproflaxin and ranitidin, did not have relief for long.

had a surgery for inguinal hernia 5 months ago.
and married for 3 months
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms most likely are caused by severe intestinal infection. And as you have used some antibiotics recently it probably caused bacterial selection so only the most resistant has left. This is one possibility. The other is inflammatory bowel disease that is affecting your intestines. It is possible especially if there is any blood or mucus in stool. Sometimes it is associated with many allergies like skin allergies.
I suggest you to have some safe treatment and if no relief, diagnostics should be performed.
You should ask your doctor for such treatment:
Rifaximine 400mg 3 times a day for 7 days
Mebeverine 200mg once a day
Probiotic tablest 3 times a day
Such treatment should give permanent relief. If no, you should have full blood work, abdominal ultrasound, stool test and colonoscopy performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.