Having red, sore, warm and stiff hand. What cure should be done?

Critical Care Specialist
Good evening...the top ofmy right hand is a little red and sore and warm. I was out in cold weather tonight but my left hand is warmer than my left.......a little stiff sign of bite
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello, Thanks for your question.

Your right hand is little red, sore and warm and you were in cold weather for night. The condition of hand, which you have described, mostly seems like frostbite. This happens due to sever cold. It is a type of cold injury, in which local tissue destruction; occur due to exposure to extreme cold.

In mild cases, it results in superficial, reversible freezing followed by erythema and slight pain. In severe cases, it can be painless or paresthetic and can result in blister formation. Persistent edema and gangrene formation are other symptoms.

Your left hand is warmer than your right hand; because, probably it was not exposed to cold or your right hand was exposed to cold more than left.

Re- warm your hand slowly. Keep your hand covered.

Consult the physician for further management.

Hope I answered your question. For any further query, do post your follow up. I am readily available to answer.

Follow-up: Having red, sore, warm and stiff hand. What cure should be done? 2 hours later
Thank you for answering my question. It is about 6 hours later and the hand is still warm on my knukles and stiff and uncomfortable when i try to sqeeze my hand.....the temp tonight ws only in the low 50's maby high 40's and we went to the fair earlier in the day. I noticed the pain and warming knukles while on one of the last rides that we were on. Almost like a spider bite but no sign of it. My hands are both warm and back to normal now but the right is still saw and still and the knukles a little warm.........around the knukles is puffy.....
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing back to us.
I am happy to know that your condition is steadily improving. A temperature of 40-50 F will not cause frostbite.
Its unlikely that your symptoms are due to a spider bite. There should be some kind of itching, redness, and pain after a spider bite.
I would also like to rule out long standing Diabetic neuropathy. For this, we would need you to see a physician who can do an examination.
Let me know if you have any more questions.