Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for pain. Looking for advice

Missed februarys period (february 20)
Ovulation on phone application(february 6)
Protected sex (condom only) (february 13)
March 3rd protected sex (condom only)
Ovualtion on phone app (march 10th) but also on march 10 I began to spot brown but only when I wipe
March 9 at night getting ready for bed i had a pink dot when wipe
My question is is this normal i tought miss period was become maybe a cycle change
I had never spotted brown before getting period i usually have this the very last days of my period my period usually consist of 5-7days with first day really bad cramps but when the brown spotting started i took midol before getting cramps so i have not gotten any pains
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Since your periods have been normal previously, I will advice you to rule out pregnancy as the next step.
As per the information provided by you, you have been using adequate contraception. Still there are some chances of contraception failure. There are urine pregnancy test kits available over the counter that are very reliable.

In case you missed your periods due to another physiological cause, then the body tries to adjust to the change in it's own way. You can experience only spotting during the periods. Slowly, over a period of few months, the amount of blood flow comes back to normal. The physiological causes can be excessive exercise, anovulation and recent diet changes.

If the periods do not return to normal, then you may have to go to a physician to rule out any underlying cause for the problem.

In the meantime, you may record your BBT) daily with a basal body thermometer. Make a note when you see you BBT go up for three consecutive days. Just prior to the BBT elevation is when you ovulated.

When bleeding happens at intervals of more than 36 days, it is called as oligomenorrhea. When menstrual bleeding does occur, it is prolonged, profuse and often laden with clots. Occasionally scanty bleeding or spotting occurs on between these heavy periods.

Also make a note of other symptoms that you may be experiencing. For example:
Any recent weight change,
Headache, dizziness or palpitations.

Some factors which can affect the cycles include,
Any medications in recent past,
Changes in your eating habits.

Hope, I addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj