Having prolonged period. Is it safe to take mensovit, slowit, akowin, akovid and antosin?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi Doctor,
My mom is 50 yrs old. She is getting her periods for more than 20 days continuously. She was taking some siddha medicines initially. But even then it did not stop. Then we consulted some other doctor. he gave a combination of siddha,unani,ayurveda and homeopathic medicines. Can my mom take these medicines? The medicines are Mensovit, slowit, akowin, akovid, sul, antosin , haematol, melvit and neurocon
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 37 minutes later
Mensovit tablet is used to regularize the menstrual cycles and it is a herbal product.
And most of the other tablets contain vitamins and minerals.
Some amount of irregularity in menstrual cycle is common during perimenopausal age group.
But as your mother is menorrhea for around 20 days better to consult gynecologist once.
After undergoing physical examination and one ultrasound the possible cause for the problem can be identified and treatment can be given.
Sometimes endometrial biopsy may needed.
The medicines she is using may give symptomatic relief but they may not cure the causative factor, so better consult gynecologist once.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Having prolonged period. Is it safe to take mensovit, slowit, akowin, akovid and antosin? 7 minutes later
Thanks doctor.Should uterus be removed for such kind of problems or are there any treatment for this ?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 minutes later
The treatment options depends on the cause.
If she is having only hormonal imbalance, medical treatment may be sufficient.
But if she is having structural problem like endometrial abnormalities, fibroids etc. she may need surgical intervention.
That can be decided only after proper examination and investigations.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.