Having problems with periods. Having sore feeling and weight gain. Still bleeding. Miscarriage?

hello, I am having problems with my period. I started my period on Sept 10th and it was just a light spotting. Tampon had brown blood with bright red on the tip. This lasted for 2 days then stopped. I started again, more like normal conditions with water weight gain, sore breasts and cramping on Sept 17th. I usually only bleed heavy the 2nd and third day but as of today, I am still bleeding very heavy and there is a very terrible odor also like something dead or rotting. I am not having any pain, swelling or itching. I could have lost a tampon but am afraid I may be having a miscarraige. Any thoughts?
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
rule out pregnancy first

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

In case of any sexually active woman it's important that pregnancy be ruled out first . You need to take a pregnancy test first thing in the morning .

If pregnancy is ruled out with a negative test then this irregular bleeding is mostly due to hormonal imbalance . You will need to check all your hormones levels including thyroid . Also a ultrasound of the pelvis is required to rule out pathology like fibroids , polyps etc. Imbalance can be corrected with hormonal medication .

I suggest that you see a doctor after your bleeding stops if the test is negative for further tests .

After you rule out pregnancy if the bleeding is too heavy to manage take tablet tranexemic acid thrice day which will help to control the bleeding . You may need a prescription for the same.

Follow-up: Having problems with periods. Having sore feeling and weight gain. Still bleeding. Miscarriage? 16 minutes later
That does not explain the very bad odor. I feel like I may be getting a fever too now.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
various causes for the odour

Detailed Answer:

Hi again

There may be various causes for the odour . It's usually common in case of infection but can occur during menstruation also . That is why it's important to rule out pregnancy. Without ruling out a miscarriage you cannot be given any vaginal tablets for that . Rule out pregnancy first . Then antibiotics can be given to you to treat infection . Vaginitis is common in case of infection. It gives out a fishy smell . You will need antibiotics for that . If you get back to me with a negative pregnancy test I can help you further .