Having periods after sex. Noticed spotting and blood clot coming out. What can this be?

Question
Hi doctor my name is XXXXX and I had sex on August 2 2013 but my period came on a day after.but then on the 31st of August I had this bad pain in my stomach and I started spotting and I went to the bathroom and it was something pushing against my pelvic and a blood clot came out in the toilet but now on September 24 2013 I get a full 4or5 day period.so what do that mean doctor?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
miscarriage? DUB?

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,
If your period came a day after you had on Aug 2nd, then you didnt get pregnant in that cycle. Your clot came out Aug 31st, so there is possibility of a spontaneous abortion if you had had sex in that cycle, after 2nd Aug. If however, you had'nt had sex in Aug, then its likely to be dysfunctional uterine bleeding, possibly due to hormonal imbalance. At 42, its likely that you could be having some hormonal imbalance and it may last a few years. If something similar happens again, you need to be examined and also get an ultrasound.

Follow-up: Having periods after sex. Noticed spotting and blood clot coming out. What can this be? 35 minutes later
O thank you so much

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you're welcome

Detailed Answer:
Happy to help

So can i still get pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly

Detailed Answer:

As long as you are still getting a period, yes, you can get pregnant. I suggest you use regular contraception, until you achieve menopause.

Follow-up: Having periods after sex. Noticed spotting and blood clot coming out. What can this be? 8 hours later
Ok thank you

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
happy to help

Detailed Answer:
happy to help