Having pain, rashes and numbness in feet. Numbness and pain started in hand. What could this be?

My son-law's feet are tingling, numb, with a rash and very painful. This has occured suddenly on the way home from a trip to Alaska. It began about 24 to 36 hours ago and is progressively becoming more painful. They were hunting for a period of 2 weeks. They ate fish. Now his hand is tingling and numb with pain. The man he went with is now starting to experience these symptoms. What could this be.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Your son-in law is probably experiencing frost bite or an allergy to something that he ate or was exposed to during the trip.
Frost bite is a condition when the tissues are damaged due to exposure to extreme amounts of cold. Since a frost bite can permanently damage a lot of tissues, I would suggest that you take him to the ER so that a proper evaluation can be done immediately.
Also, give him Tablet Fexofenadine 180 mg 1 tablet once daily till then. This would take care of the allergic component , if any
Let me know if you have any more concerns