Have cough, no fever and no runny nose. What could be causing this?

I have a hard, wracking cough, no fever and no runny nose - unless I cough for several minutes then I can blow my nose but it's clear. I generally have a fever with a cold and high fever with any bacterial infection. Why am I coughing so hard?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later

Only cough, without fever is a sign of acute or chronic pharyngitis (which means the pharynx or a part of the throat just above the voice box is irritated). Usually it is allergic and a running nose may or may not be associated.

You would benefit from taking Tablet Fexofenadine 180 mg 1 tablet once daily for 3-4 days. Also, dextromethorphan lozenges three times a day would help immensely
Gargling with warm water and salt three times a day is helpful.

If you don't get relief in 3 days, please see an internist.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Thank you

Follow-up: Have cough, no fever and no runny nose. What could be causing this? 9 hours later
If it's from the pharynx or above, why does my chest spasm so badly? My cough is so XXXXXXX and wracking, my ribs ache. What you're describing sounds like when you have a tickle XXXXXXX in your throat and cough in an attempt to clear the irritation. The pain is in the bronchials on the right side.
Hard and dry cough are produced by many respiratory conditions. Pharyngitis, broncholitis, bronchitis and other obstructive lung pathologies are a few of the common causes.

However if there are no throat tingling/sore throat, pharnygitis seem less likely.

Dextromethorphan syrup and warm gargles benefit in all of the above conditions. Therefore you may continue them as advised. In addition you may also try XXXXXXX steam inhalation. Rarely you may need bronchodilators to relieve the distress.

You may try over the counter available dextromethorphan syrup, gargles and steam inhalation for a few days. If symptoms do not improve or if the symptoms are very troubling, consider visiting your doctor's office. He/she can perform a routine chest examination, routine blood test and chest X-ray done.

Hope this helps.