Having pain in legs due to parkinsons. Prescribed hydrocodon. Now taking OTC pain killers. No doctors to prescribe the medicine. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Dear Sir,
For the past several years my Primary Physician has been prescribing hydrocodon for crushing pain in my legs due to parkinsons. The medication is very effective and I have never had any problem with taking too much. In fact I requested she lower the dose since I only needed to take it on an as needed basis. I always have about 15 percent of the dosage left over at the end of the month and just extend the refill date. Now my doctor has left to her home state of Maryland and my new PA/Primary Physician will not prescribe it nor with her supervising Doctor. I have talked to two or three other Primary Physicians about taking over my need,, but they all have refused to write the hydrocodon prescription. I have dropped down to otc pain killers to no avail. Why can't I find a Doctor who will give me what has worked wonderfully on me and has allowed me to more or less walk somewhat normally. What can I do?

I made the statement that I could not find a Doctor to take care of my need. That should have been needs. My needs include severe high blood pressure, working with my cardiologist regarding some blockage, monitering and treating pre-diabetic blood work, bone density problems, routine issues with aging, and of course problems associated with parkinsons.
Sincerely,
XXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been taking Hydrocodone for many years for severe pain in legs.

Hydrocodone is narcotic analgesic prescribed in pain management, however it belongs to Opiate group of drugs and has side effect of habit forming and addiction.

Considering your multiple health issues it is advisable to stop the drug in your own interest and safety.

You may face problem of withdrawal symptoms but issue will get resolved over a period of time.

You can try another mild pain killers like Paracetomol keeping in mind that you may not get satisfactory results like Hydocodone.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Having pain in legs due to parkinsons. Prescribed hydrocodon. Now taking OTC pain killers. No doctors to prescribe the medicine. What to do? 20 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for attempting to answer my question. However, pretty much the same old answer. My doctors have everything pretty much under control, but they have put me in a position where I now have to use a cane just in the last week or so. At my age, taking 35 plus pills a day, don't you think I could have the one thing I need to have somewhat of a normal life. You know, I refuse to be beaten down and will get what keeps me going one way or another. Hopefully you will enjoy Obama care as much as I will enjoy most of your incomes going south.
Sincerelly, XXXXX

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
I can understand your concern and embarrassment for taking 35 pills in a day.
But at the end of the day you have to keep on moving and accept the reality . We doctors can help you in keeping you living with smooth and pain free with medicines only.
Thanking you with regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Having pain in legs due to parkinsons. Prescribed hydrocodon. Now taking OTC pain killers. No doctors to prescribe the medicine. What to do? 10 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
Your last statement: We doctors can help you in keeping you living with smooth and pain free medicines. You are making a statement the opposite of what you said in your last note. If you or any other doctor can keep me living with smooth pain free with medicines, then why can't I get the pain killer and why would you not agree with me and attempt to help me with this problem.
Your truly, XXXXX
Follow-up: Having pain in legs due to parkinsons. Prescribed hydrocodon. Now taking OTC pain killers. No doctors to prescribe the medicine. What to do? 1 minute later
Sorry, see last note

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
I do agree your point but all the doctors may not follow the same medicines for treating pain .
Since Hydrocodone belongs to narcotic group of drugs majority of the physicians do not recommend it for pain management when other alternative medicines are available.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.