Having pain in knees. Painful while climbing up and down, stairs and boarding vehicles. Help?

Hi, I am having a terrible pain in my both knees for last couple of years. It is really painful climbing up and own the stairs, boarding handpulled rickshaws etc. A few days before when I kneeled down suddenly I expirienced that something bursted just above my knees as if a baloon bursted and I was not in a position to move my legs for next few minutes. Please help.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

I suggest you to get an Xray of the knee joint as soon as possible. There may also be need for an MRI depending on the xray finding which may show tear in the menicus or any other ligaments in the joint.

Meanwhile do restrict any kind of movement in the joint and immobilize it with a splint.

Take painkillers like Aceclofenac if the pain is unbearable.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.