Having pain in heel. Is it related to plantar fascitis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi MySelf XXXXXXX, I have a Heel pain on one of my foot since last one year, i googled a bit and got to know it's related to Plantar fasciitis and visited couple of doctors and got the same response do not know how much is it true, one doctor said that i have a flat foot so due to that you started this pain now, and he sugested to wear insoles and do some hot water message and all but i am not getting relief and day by day it is becoming severe, so can you please suggest how this can be fixed i want to resume my running session, pls help and suggest some expert in Bangalore where i can go and get this rectifiy.
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 21 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Heel pain is mostly Plantar Fascitis.

The causes are many - childhood structural deformities in the foot can present in later age as plantar fascitis eg.. Flat foot

- Overweight : leads to more stress over heel
- Prolonged standing
- Shoes that don't fit well or with hard heels, etc.,

Treatment is basically correcting the mechanical axis due to deformities by using insoles, lifestyle modifications - weight loss/avoiding prolonged standing, physiotherapy - hot water massage/ Interferential therapy / Ultrasound etc.,

Insoles (soft cushioned heels with medial arch support) have to be used for both indoor & outdoor activities. Weight loss is of prime importance. Hot water massage before going to bed & soon after getting from bed will reduce pain.

If the pain is not responding to these modalities even after 6 weeks, a local steroid injection at the site might be helpful in relieving the pain.

Only in resistant cases where pain is persistent, surgery is indicated. Recently there are studies with PRP (Platelet XXXXXXX Plasma) injection giving better results.

Sorry to say that I have no idea about who is doing PRP injections in Bangalore.

You could consult Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX in Banglore. Below is his link:

Feel free to ask any doubt.
Get well soon.