Suggest remedies for arthritis

Question
I have severe arthritis in my ankles and mild arthritis in my knees. I'm thinking about pursuing PRP therapy for my ankles as an alternative to knee replacement and ankle fusion surgery. I've heard many success PRP stories. Any suggestions?
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can give it a try.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Although platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection has been suggested to have a promising effect in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis, the proposition still requires further studies for confirmation. Nevertheless, you can give it a try. Platelets contain significant amounts of cytokines and growth factors which are capable of stimulating cellular growth, vascularization, proliferation, tissue regeneration, and collagen synthesis. Delivery of high concentrations of cytokines and GFs to damaged tissues by PRP is considered to have a beneficial effect on tendon and cartilage tissue regeneration. Please note that the effects of these treatments are short term and their local and systemic side effects cause frequent problems. PRP injections aim to promote cartilage repair and relieve osteoarthritic symptoms, potentially delaying the need for joint replacement surgery. Try it. No specific suggestions.

Let me know if I could help further.