Having night sweat and lump on top of collarbone. Taking amoxcicillin. Cancer?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I got a lump on my top of my coller bone but it is in the neck gland and at night I swaeet from there and from my a neck the docter gave my amoxcicillin but 10 months ago someone grabbed me by the throat and pitch my nerve hard is it from that and can it be cancer let me know asap.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
1. This most likely a lymph node swelling. It is not likely to be related to grabbing the throat or pinched nerve. There are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region. They are normally not palpable. After enlarging during inflammation or infection they rarely regress to their normal size and then can be felt (palpated) but remain no-tender.

2. The best way to approach this concern is to first get a Neck USG (Ultrasound) done to identify the exact tissue which comprises the lump. This should preferably be done with a new generation 4D USG Scanner with Doppler. If the lump is suspected to be cancerous, a FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) will usually settle the diagnosis. An excision biopsy with tumor marker tests is very accurate. You may also get an otoscopy, an abdominal USG and a Chest X-ray done. This should be accompanied by routine blood tests.

3. Most cancers will have other constitutional symptoms such as weight loss, night sweats, unexplained fever, itching, multiple lumps and so on. Do you have any of these symptoms?

4. I must emphasize that if there are no other symptoms, then the chances of cancer are very low. You have a long standing solitary lymph node which is painless. Tumors or cancers do grow with time. Hence you should not worry.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.