Having neck pain not in spine. Tilting head at back relieves pain. What could be the cause?

i was wondering if the bone called the mastoid process can either be causing these pains in my neck, not my spine it does not hurrt in the middle of my neck, and when i rub those two bones on either side it feels so good and if I tilt my head back it relieves some of the pain. Any idea? XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

Based on the information provided you are suffering from pain in the middle of the neck in back region and no pain in the spine. The pain is relived by massaging the mastoid process and tilting the head back do provide some relief in pain.

As per the classic description of the symptoms, common conditions producing neck pain are degenerative disc disease, neck strain, neck injury such as in whiplash, a herniated disc, or a pinched nerve.

As nothing can be said for sure just based on the symptoms alone further investigation are needed and for which, I would recommend you to consult near by physician and have it checked, you may need a MRI of the neck region to see any issues with your neck vertebras.

Hope it helps, and feel free to contact me in case of any concern or query.

Follow-up: Having neck pain not in spine. Tilting head at back relieves pain. What could be the cause? 57 minutes later
Just one follow up question, could having that seizure have caused neck injury. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 33 minutes later

Welcome back, the answer to your question is yes, their are chances that neck injury can be caused while the person is in active stage of seizure, because the brain looses control during that time and it will very hard to remember for them, what happened during those seconds during seizure stage.

Hope it helps, still feel free to contact me in case of further concerns or clarifications.

Thanks again.