Having nausea, diarrhoea and sore throat. Had stomach cramps. Prescribed phenargan and imodium. Is it GI infection?

I think I caught a stomach bug from my 2 year old almost 2 weeks ago. I didn't have vomiting like she did, but did have nausea and liquid diarrhea that only lasted a day. I also had stomach/back cramping and a sore throat as well. During this my period started and the cramps were pretty intense, especially on the left side. My cycle ended, but I still have a slight pain that comes and goes around my left ovary. I wake up out of breath every morning and feel lightheaded at times. I also have not had an appetite. I have been drinking a lot of water and Gatorade, with no issue. I went to the Dr. yesterday morning. My blood pressure and heart rate were normal, and I had no fever. She said she could hear lots of gurgling in my stomach and told me to stay on a bland diet for the next 3 days, prescribed Phenergan for some nausea I'm still having (mainly when forcing myself to eat) and Imodium for the soft stools still. I took two Imodium yesterday morning and have not had a stool yet. Can GI viruses normally take this long to get over? My biggest concern is the slight pain still on my left side and being out of breath, but the dr. I saw didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Viral infections associated with the gastrointestinal tract in normal adults generally have favorable outcomes within a few days of symptoms (abdominal cramping, nausea, diarrhea and at times vomiting). Treatment in this case is usually symptomatic, as was done in your case, and outcomes are generally favorable.

It is comforting in your case especially as signs of danger or severity are not reported (no fever, no bloody stool and no intense alteration in the general outlook of well being).

However, the pain persistent around the side of the abdomen could entail a keener observation. however, it its to the right and associated with the "rumbling" in the stomach described by your doctor, this is should not be a worry. It is simply what is inflammation around the lieocecal junction (Bauhinitis) which in this context should not cause a real problem.

Breathing difficulties might be difficult to associate to this clinical context. An associated upper flu during the period you experienced serious abdominal symptoms could explain mild respiratory distress. In the absence of any past history of respiratory disease (allergic rhinitis, asthma, chronic cough, nasal discharge), it might be erroneous to associate these symptoms to the breathing difficulties. Further characterization of this breathing difficulties(intensity, on inspiration or expiration, associated signs like wheezing) could be appropriate in making a clear cut diagnosis.

I think the nausea and mild abdominal pain should NOT be a call for concern now, it should have simple and favorable outcomes. Persistence or intensification of the pain and other symptoms, onset of fever should compel that your receive a complete review from your physician. I still strongly think you need a proper review from your internist/pulmonologist of the breathing difficulties (dyspnea) you experience in the mornings. While waiting to see your doctor, complying with your doctor's medication and treatment protocol, which in my humble opinion is adequate, is my advice.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be. Wishing you good health

Best regards,

Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Having nausea, diarrhoea and sore throat. Had stomach cramps. Prescribed phenargan and imodium. Is it GI infection? 1 hour later
Thanks for the response. You said viral infections usually have favorable outcomes within a few days, but this has been going on for about 1.5 weeks. If there is no reason to worry now, how long should it go on before I should be concerned? As far as breathing difficulties, I have no history of this. Could the shortness of breath and no energy be related to not eating much? Like I said, I have not had much of an appetite and force myself to eat bland foods.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 27 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

If the symptoms as the days go by are not decreasing, you might need to see a physician. But if you are noticing a clear amelioration as the days unfold, it might be good to wait again for a few days.

I am afraid the breathing difficulties would require you to XXXXXXX a physician. The shortness of breath cannot actually be related to you not actually eating well. Lung, heart disease must be formally excluded in this clinical scenario of shortness of breath. In the mean time , improving on your feeding habits, especially through reinforcing vegetables and fruits is my advice.

My suggestion is booking an appointment with an internist/pulmonologist for a proper clinical evaluation. Thanks and hope this helps. I am ready to contribute to your health if need be. Feel free asking further questions.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.