Having menstrual cramp, pelvic pain and back pain. Ultrasound and CT scan normal. Prescribed doxycycline

I have chronic pelvic pain since my ablation May 31st, 2011. Constant dull ache in pelvic area and backache. Debilitating menstrual cramps. Occasional out of the blue labor intensity pain. Ongoing cycle of right sided stabbing pain in the area of right ovary--lasts a few days, is better for a few weeks, then comes back. Usually shortly before or after my period. An ultrasound and CT scan March 19th, 2013, found nothing. No cysts or fibroids were seen, and was told my uterus looks "as they would expect a uterus to look after an ablation. I do not have an elevated white count but my doctor wants me to take antibiotics (Doxycycline) and call back in 2 weeks to schedule a colonoscopy if I don't feel better after the medication. I have no bowel issues. Does this seem like the right course of action?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 8 hours later

Thanks for the query

The ultrasound and CT scan tests you have taken is a good step to rule out many possible causes of your pain. With the test results being normal, there are two most probable causes of your pain; a side effect of the ablation or a chronic pelvic inflammatory disease.

Crampy pelvic pain is a common adverse effect of uterine thermachoice ablation. However, the possibility of an infection should be ruled out first. Pelvic infections also present with pelvic pain especially during periods and may also present with vaginal discharges following menses. Chlamydia is a common cause of chronic pelvic infection. It responds well to doxycycline together with other germs causing pelvic infection. White blood cell might be normal in the case of chronic pelvic inflammation becoming elevated mostly in acute situations. It should be probably for this reason that your doctor is putting you on the doxycycline antibiotic.

Eventually, after being treated for pelvic infection, if the pain persist, further investigations shall be considered such as the colonoscopy just to ruled out the possibility of an underlying cause before considering the diagnosis of a complication of ablation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further queries, I will be ready to help. If you do not have further queries, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.

Best regards