Having lump on side of knee. Tender to touch. What should be done?

General Surgeon
Question
I have a lump on the left side of knee. Nit just appeared and is tender to the touch
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 2 hours later

When you say it has just appeared, I presume there was no trauma...

It may be an infection as you say this is tender, but very difficult to tell what it is, without examining you.
I would like to know a bit more...

Is the swelling red? Are you suffering from fever?
What is its size?
Do you have difficulty in walking?

It would also be better if you can send me a close picture of the affected area taken under a bright light. You can upload the picture using the feature available on this page.

Meanwhile you can start with analgesic and anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen 400mg twice daily after food.

Awaiting your reply

Dr. Rajat Gupta

Follow-up: Having lump on side of knee. Tender to touch. What should be done? 18 hours later
The area is not red, no difficulty in walking 1 1/2 in Che's in diameter. It has a firm center. I will attach a picture if I can figure it out. I am on meloxicam 15 mg for planter fasciitis.

Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 23 hours later
I am sorry for writing back late.
It is very difficult to tell what it is after seeing the picture. I would like to know how are you feeling now? Has the swelling susided after taking ibuprofen?

It vaguely looks like an abscess, which might need surgical drainage.
I would advise you to consult your physician, so that final diagnosis can be made and appropriate treatment started.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Rajat Gupta

Follow-up: Having lump on side of knee. Tender to touch. What should be done? 27 minutes later
No difference in size or anything. So I will contact physician. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 16 hours later

Yes, it would be better if a physician examines you.

Do let me know, what he/ she says.

Dr. Rajat Gupta