Having lump in vagina. On depression, anxiety and high blood pressure. Suggest the treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Excellent
Question
I have a soft non painful lump in my vagina that moves if touched from side to side. I think it is round not sure . No pain, discharge, blood. No problem urinating. It's pink in color. It is located right in the vagina, kind of in the front. I'm on depression, anxiety and high blood pressure medicine . 65 year old female I dont know how long I have had it.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
BARTHOLINS CYST MOST LIKELY, HAVE EXAMINATION

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
The lump that you describe sounds most probably like a Bartholin's cyst.
Bartholin's glands are a pair of secretory glands situated next to the vaginal opening.
They might get blocked due to infection .
Blockage of the draining duct leads to swelling of the glands, leading to cyst formation.
This is rare after the age of 40.
If a 65 year old lady comes to my clinic with such a lump, I would first examine the lump locally with a per speculum and per vaginum examination.
Other possibilities include - cysts apart from Bartholin's cyst such as inclusion cyst etc. , benign tumours such as a lipoma, a cystocele which is a sagging of the anterior vaginal wall etc. They can be ruled out by clinical examination by a gynaecologist, as the appearance and location of bartholin's cyst is very typical.
If you could take a picture and send it ( upload on this page ), that might also help to arrive at a specific diagnosis.
Generally, nothing needs to be done for a Bartholin's cyst, unless it gets infected or causes problems in urination or for cosmetic reasons.
However above the age of 40, it is recommended to have it removed, because the risk of malignant changes increases with increasing age.
Still, there is no cause for worry, as the risk for cancer of the vulva is still less than 1 %.
Removal of the cyst and biopsy examination will confirm the diagnosis.
Right now, even though it is not troublesome, I would recommend consulting a Gynecologist for diagnosis, keeping in mind your age .
ALso, do not touch the area and do not handle the lump much.
ALl the best, please feel free to discuss further.
I would be happy to address any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Having lump in vagina. On depression, anxiety and high blood pressure. Suggest the treatment? 1 hour later
It seems that my vulva is swollen.....doesn't look like a cyst after looking at pictures of a bartholins cysts. Now I'm worried

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload picture for specific respones

Detailed Answer:

Could you upload a picture? Only, if you are comfortable with it.

You have a feature to upload the image by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

There is no cause for worry at all. As I said, risk of vulval cancer is less than 1 %.

Bartholin's cyst most frequently starts off as a diffuse vulval swelling also.

It might not always appear like a discrete cyst.

However, you said the lump was movable, right?

As I said, a picture is better than a thousand words :)

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Having lump in vagina. On depression, anxiety and high blood pressure. Suggest the treatment? 45 minutes later
I feel uncomfortable taking picture. Don't really know how anyway. I washed with cold water and the little burning sensation went away. It seems to be movable and soft . Is there a medicine I can get for the inflammation? I've been reading a lot about this.

Brief Answer:
Medical drugs may not be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
It's alright if you cannot take a picture. If there is burning and pain, it could be a sebaceous cyst or an infected hair follicle, that could be turning into an abscess.

We normally prescribe antibiotic to prevent/control infection and reduce pain / inflammation. It doesn't really affect the cyst. Therefore I urge you to visit a gynecologist. Besides, antibiotics are prescription only medication and are not available over the counter.

You could apply cold compresses to it to get temporary relief.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Follow-up: Having lump in vagina. On depression, anxiety and high blood pressure. Suggest the treatment? 8 hours later
So I have no pain or burning, but still swollen. No pain urinating etc. so confused reading everything.

Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Since you are not able to provide an image, it would be unreasonable to prescribe any medications .
ALso, as you are not in pain or discomfort, no self medication is necessary right now.
FOr the swelling, please consult a doctor, as it could be a cyst / abscess / tumour.
All the best.

Follow-up: Having lump in vagina. On depression, anxiety and high blood pressure. Suggest the treatment? 36 minutes later
Cyst, abscess or tumor great.....not just in infection that will go away...cancer?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Hi
I have gone through the image uploaded by you.
A cyst ( bartholin's ) is the most likely diagnosis.
Next to that, it could be a soft tissue tumour like a lipoma etc.
Infection is not a likely possbility as you have no signs of inflammation in the area - no local redness, itching, no rise of temperature, pain or discomfort.
Also, I can see a small bulge in the posterior vaginal wall.
A doctor could examine you and see if that bulge is in continuity with the main swelling on left labial lip, or it is a small discrete separate bulge such as a rectocele ( laxity of the posterior vaginal wall ).
To know the exact diagnosis, please see a gynecologist.

So that was a lot of information. I'm scared now. Is any of this a serious condition?

Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:
A cyst is not at all serious.
Rectal mucosal bulges or lipoma is also not serious at all.
However, there definitely IS a lump, and its not a generalized inflammation that could go away with OTC medication.
Hence, the need to see a doctor .
It is not urgent also, you could schedule an appointment when you can, because right now the lump is not causing any pain or discomfort.
So please do not worry.

Follow-up: Having lump in vagina. On depression, anxiety and high blood pressure. Suggest the treatment? 27 minutes later
So I feel better except for the lump you mentioned......what about the lump?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:
What I meant was that the lump could be a cyst or lipoma.
It is not a generalized swelling, but a proper lump that needs to be looked at.

I appreciate your patience with me....but Worry a lot on meds and see my MD often because of depression. But the lump you mentioned I am worried about as you say what it might be. I know not seeing it in person is difficult to analyze . A proper lump, which mean itcould be something serious. I'm sorry for all the questions.

Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Hi
First of all, none of your questions bother me, you dont have to apologize at all.
It is my duty to assist you, and thats what I am here for.
Please feel free to discuss any doubts that might be troubling you.
As you so rightly understand, without seeing it in person, offering you a presumptive prescription would be not just illegal, but would be harmful to you .
A proper lump means that it is not diffuse or spread out , it has a specific shape and size.
Thats all that a lump means.
Regarding what it could be, I again reassure you that it is most likely a cyst or a soft tissue growth like a lipoma.
These are entirely harmless conditions which can be easily removed within minutes.
In my honest opinion ( which is now quite valid, since I have looked at the picture also ) - you have nothing to worry about.
Seeing your gynecologist would only lend you a diagnosis.
I can understand that because of the medications, you might be prone to anxiety and stress, but having looked at the image, it does not appear to be cancerous at all to me.
The lump is something that is easily treatable - that is the bottomline.
Please see your doctor and have it done with.
And please be at ease if you have anything to discuss with me or ask me at any point.
I would not be in the least discomfited.
Wishing you luck and the best of health.