Having lower back pain radiating till leg. Took physiotherapy. Cannot sit for long. Feed back?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I got in touch with Dr. XXXXXXX D Chaudhari in the past. (The query is closed and I don't know how to reopen it) - Now I have my MRI report etc

Frequent lower back Problem: In the past I had a problem with my lower back and the pain radiated to the leg (was diagonised with Sciatica). I took some physiotherapy and the issue got resolved. But offlate I am starting to experience lower back problem (the pain does not radiate to my legs). I am not able to sit on the floor for extended period of time (even in a relaxed position) - experience a lot of pain in my lower back and spine.

I am attaching my MRI report. Can you please take a look at it and give me your feedback.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Disc prolapse at L4-L5.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through all the reports attached with the query.
The MRI scan is suggestive of degenerative changes in the lumbar spine with disc prolapse at the level of L4-L5 and L5-S1. There is minor symptoms that you are experiencing.
The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy in cases like yours where pain is the main symptom. If the response is good with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem.

The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. If you work for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
WWW.WWWW.WW Back strengthening exercises will also help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.