Having lower back pain. Fine needle biopsy done. Found swollen lymph node. Prognosis?

Jan 2013

I have seen my specialist since we spoke last and had a fine needle biopsy which was fine but have 3 more lymph nodes that have swollen. Specialist said it could be cat scatch disease or some other virus but should I still be concerned as I now have 3 large lymph nodes in same area. None anywhere else still no symptoms but i do have lower back pain not sure if that has something to do with my arthritis
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 15 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

As you have previously mentioned that lymph nodes are painless; there appears to be least possibility of Cat scratch disease.
Cat scratch disease is caused by Bartonella henselae, a bacteria.
As it is infectious in nature, fever, back ache, tender lymphadenopathy may be presenting features.

There may be high chances of enlarged lymphadenopathy due to active Rheumatoid arthritis and Sjogren's syndrome.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ rheumatologist and should go for detailed evaluation.
You must take low dose steroids along with disease modifying antirheumatic drugs.
Control of active rheumatoid arthritis may take time and you should take proper treatment for RA.

As such there is no need of treatment for suspected cat scratch disease. It is self remitting in nature.
In severe cases, doxycycline, azithromycin and ciprofloxacin may be helpful.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava