Having low platelet count and having pain in lower back. Sonogram has showed enlarged liver and kidney. What next?

have low platlet count 50 pain in lower right side lower back right side sonogram showed enlarged liver and kidney waiting for bone marrow test?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to us.

With a platelet level of 50,000 (please correct me if I am wrong), it is important to investigate further and come to a clinical diagnosis. Enlarged liver and kidney may be considered while making a diagnosis.

It can be an infection, auto immune or neoplastic condition. The bone marrow test is a confirmatory investigation to say if the generation of platelets in the body is normal in morphology and quantity. You may be asked to repeat the platelet counts to see for any variation.

Any clinical symptoms that you may have like rashes, fever, fatigue, bleeding tendencies need to be discussed with your doctor.

In an ambulatory patient the common causes of low platelets include:
1. Idiopathic Thrombocytepenic Purpura
2. Drug-induced
-Any Therapeutic Drugs
3. Infections
-Connective tissue disorders
-Rheumatoid arthritis
-Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
5. Hypersplenism
6. Primary marrow disorder

Keeping the above in mind, bone marrow test is considered important to workup low platelet conditions.

I hope this answers your question,
Write back in case of doubts,
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor.