Having low back pain. Has P-cyst and getting surgically removed. Safe?

My nephew has had lower back pain for 3 years he has been told by his doctor he has a P- cyst and is getting it surgically removed could that have been problem
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 52 minutes later

I would like to know some more details to understand the problem better and advice specifically.

What is the age of your nephew?
Do you mean Pancreatic cyst?
What investigative modality did find the cyst. Kindly o attach the report.

Yes, if you mean it is a pancreatic cyst then the lower back ache could be due to the same. As pain due to the pancreatic pathology presents with milder, dull pain in the middle and lower back.

Kindly provide the above information so that I can be sure in my conclusion.

Follow-up: Having low back pain. Has P-cyst and getting surgically removed. Safe? 39 minutes later
Pilonidicysts, he is 19 yo and an arhelete
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 53 minutes later

Thanks for the information.

Pilonidal cyst may not cause lower back pain. Its a local infective condition which may present with local pressure or pain at the natal cleft.

The low back pain he had may have to be evaluated with better imaging techniques like MRI.

Wish you good health.