Having irregular menstrual cycles. Feel constipated. With blurring vision and excessive sleepiness with weight gain. Take medicine life long?

Question
sir,
myself dr XXXXX, 26 year old married woman. I was having irregular menstrual cycles for last one and a half year. I also feel constipated very often with blurring in vision and excessive sleepiness with modest weight gain. I got TFT done 3 days back and came to know that my TSH is 10.2 while T3 and T4 values are normal. I want to conceive now but want to get my TSH normal before that. my body weight is 61 kg and height is 5'1.

is it true that I will have to take medicine life long?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing in. TSH more than 10 implies a lifelong medication more often than not. It means thyroid hormone production is reduced to the extent that cant be adequately compensated. It may not take more than a few weeks to get TSH back to normal with thyroxine replacement. Check your TPO antibody levels. Start thyroxine ASAP. I suggest a dose of 75 microgram per day early morning empty stomach. Remember recommended TSH during 1st trimester is <2.5 not just normal. Repeat thyroid profile after 4 - 6 eeeks. Alll said and done its a straight forward & simple problem so nothing much to worry.

Follow-up: Having irregular menstrual cycles. Feel constipated. With blurring vision and excessive sleepiness with weight gain. Take medicine life long? 15 hours later
Thanks for your suggestion. Sir , im 26 and like every other person I also want to live long healthy life with my family so I just want to confirm that is it safe to take hormone for lifetime and wont it affect my quality of life afterwards? Will I be able to conceive and deliver healthy baby?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 17 minutes later
Its safe to take hormone lifelong. It wont affect your fertility status. You are deficient in hormone so its being replaced from outside- it doesnot have any adverse effects. It wont impact pregnancy outcome if its taken in appropriate dosage as recommended by your doc.you will definitely be able to cocieve and deliver a healthy baby.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Having irregular menstrual cycles. Feel constipated. With blurring vision and excessive sleepiness with weight gain. Take medicine life long? 58 minutes later
I have started eltroxin 75mcg from today and will get my TFT done after one month from now. What should be the normal range of T3,T4,and TSH for me and what will be the appropriate thyroxine dose for me after my levels reach normal?
My present report states-
T3- 1.29 ng/ml

T4- 70.4 ng/dl
TSH- 10.2

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 9 minutes later
T3 and t4 have to be in the normal range as per the lab reference norms. TSHhas to be lbetween 0.3 to 2.5 if you are planning pregnancy. Continue the same dose after TSH has come down to normal. Dose may need to be adjusted though if TSH is stil not normal or suppressed

Follow-up: Having irregular menstrual cycles. Feel constipated. With blurring vision and excessive sleepiness with weight gain. Take medicine life long? 36 hours later
sir
after starting eltroxin 75mcg, I noticed that I am having increased appetite..even I woke up last nite and was feeling so hungry at midnight...is this normal? one more thing I become breathless after climbing stairs to my apartment on second floor...pls help

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 6 hours later
Elyroxin will take atleast 2- 4 weeks to take its effect. The symptoms you have noted have got nothing to do with it.As i have already told you earlier eltroxin is thyroid hormone and you are on it becaise your body is not making enough hormone itself.
Shivaprasad