Having irregular heart beat. Feeling fatigued, shortness of breath, and nausea. What is going on?

Jan 2013

Hello. I have recently been having an irregular heart beat. It feels like something is "missing" in my chest. Other symptoms include fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and light headedness. My right pulse is much weaker than my left, both radial and carotid. My blood pressure has always been in the 110/60 range and still is. I am a 64 yo white male non smoker/drinker. (No alcohol at all in over 40 years).
Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 38 minutes later

You should cunsult with Physician/ cardiologist and get your ECG and 2 D echo.

Irregular heart beat may be due to cardiac problem or due to systemic illness.

Cardiac problem may be arrhythmias or structural problem. Missed beat may be due to AV block/ atrial fibrillation/ VPC's/ APC's/ Atrial Flutter. Very effective treatment is available and you may remain asymptomatic after taking these medicines.

If these cardiac investigation has doubt then you can go for electro-physiological studies of heart.

If your ECG is normal then systemic cause should be searched out.

Blood investigations are thyroid profilr, serum electrolytes, complete blood count, renal function test.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Having irregular heart beat. Feeling fatigued, shortness of breath, and nausea. What is going on? 9 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I had a low thyroid profile several years ago and take a thyroid med. I guess I should get it checked again.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 58 minutes later
Yes, definitely you should recheck it. You may have hypo/ hyperthyroidism.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava